April is here! We’re back from our spring break adventures, which if you’ve been following along, you know that those adventures did not take us to some tropical oasis, but rather to Ohio where we redid a room in less than 3 days time.
It was a quick trip (if you can count a 7 hour drive as quick), with just myself, our girls and my mom. We packed out paint supplies and were to determined to make a cozy space in the 5 days we had (which was really only 3 days because 2 of those days were spent traveling there and back).
As soon as we got there the first evening we picked a paint color. I’ve never before picked a color so quickly, as many of you probably know, I agonize way too long overt details like this and have to test lots of samples and see them at different times of day, on different walls, etc. We chose in less than a hour, double checked our decision in the morning and I was at the paint store by 10 am and we had the entire room taped, painted and and second coat up by the end of the day. The winner was Sherwin Williams Soft Green.
We decided to create a high “chair rail” if you will. We wanted to balance some cozy color while keeping it light and airy. We were not able to paint the trim, so I was hesitant to cover all the existing white paint and I think it was the right choice. It gave some interest and dimension to the space while keeping their landlord happy with us not touching any of the structural elements.
Day 2 was spent searching for the finishing touches. My sister has a collection of vintage and antique prints and pieces she had picked up and thought we might use. However, we needed a few frame and a couple items to pull it all together. You may also remember that this space is not only going to serve as a nursery, but also a guest room. So we wanted to balance a sweet baby vibe with something that wouldn’t feel too nursery-ish when adults are staying in the space. We visited an antique mall and thrift stores and everything fell into place perfectly.
We hung new airy curtains (tall and wide to make the windows seem larger). We added some shelves for storage and clever ways to conceal necessary items (such as baby monitors, etc).
I has mentioned in my previous posts about this project how we were trying to reuse as much as possible, including her comforter and existing furniture. The existing furniture, still exists. Additional needed pieces were all sourced via estate sales and Facebook Marketplace. We did get a new comforter, it was a great Homegoods find and included matching shams and ultimately helped create the airy look she was hoping for and felt a little less eclectic than the black floral one.
We are still on the hunt for a bed skirt and might possibly add in a rug down the road. But remember, designs evolve and rooms change as needed over time. Everything doesn’t have to be put together in one day (even if we did do it in 3!).
A note about sources:
I have linked what I am able to link to, some are associate links (which I do earn a very small commission from) and others are simply for your reference. Many items were found at Homegoods, thrift stores or are vintage. When and where possible, I have linked similar for your convenience. You can also find options on my LTK page full of home decor and baby boy finds.
Now we wait for baby boy to make his arrival!